Please read the following instructions to get started with your firearms transfer.
1. Purchase your firearm and have it shipped to us at DCSA (ask us about savings using our partner store NOVA Armory). Please have seller email us at email@example.com for a copy of our FFL. They will need to provide a copy of their FFL as well if this is a non-private sale.
2. Once Firearm is received an associate at DCSA will contact you to schedule an appointment to initiate the transfer process. At your DCSA appointment the process will entail:
a. Paying $120 transfer fee per firearm. The non-refundable payment is due on or before the initiate transfer step.
b. Providing Government issued photo identification with current address
c. Complete phase 1 of your Federal Firearms Transaction Record (ATF-4473)
d. Completion of a National Instant Criminal Background Check (FBI Background Check)
e. Complete MPD Statement of Eligibility
f. Complete MPD Application for Firearms Registration Certificate
3. Next you will be directed to MPD to complete the Firearms Registration Process. The following will be required:
a. Make an appointment with MPD
b. Show proof that you met the requirement for Firearm Safety Training Course.
c. Provide 1 form of photo identification (if born outside the U.S. also bring valid passport)
d. Provide 2 proofs of residency in the District of Columbia (e.g., a valid DC operator’s permit, DC vehicle registration card, lease agreement for a residence in the District, the deed to your home, or other legal document showing DC residency)
e. Application for Firearms Registration Certificate
g. Firearm sales receipt (or document proving ownership)
h. Pay $48 ($13 for application for registration and $35 for Fingerprinting Services)
Please contact the MPD Firearms Registration Branch if you have any additional questions on firearm registration:
MPD Service Contact: Firearms Registration Branch
Address: 300 Indiana Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
Contact Phone: (202) 671-6705
4. Complete the Firearm Transfer process. With your firearm registered, DCSA will collect your registration documents for our records. Once this information is received, we will contact you to schedule your close-out appointment to complete the transfer process. At this appointment you will:
a. Complete phase 2 (final) of your Federal Firearms Transaction Record (ATF-4473) providing final signatures accepting firearm
b. Receive your firearm registration certificate and any pertinent document from MPD
c. Take possession of your firearm
*Please note a second National Instant Criminal Background Check (FBI Background Check) is required if MPD approval is not received within 30 days of initial appointment/screening. There is no charge for this second background check.
· Storage Fees:
All firearms in District of Columbia Security Associates’ (DCSA) possession are subject to a monthly storage fee of $30.00 per month per firearm under the following circumstances:
- Client does not schedule an appointment with DCSA within thirty (30) days after initial contact* has been attempted
- Client does not schedule an appointment with MPD within thirty (30) days after initial transfer appointment* at DCSA
- Client does not schedule an appointment with DCSA to pick up firearm within thirty (30) days of DCSA attempted contact* for pickup.
*These charges will not apply to the first thirty (30) days after initial contact attempt, initial appointment, or pick-up appointment contact attempt, unless client does not schedule in which case charges will be applied to first day after attempted contact for appointment or firearm registration issuance.
**Storage Fees will not be assessed during the 30-90 (varies) period that MPD is reviewing your registration and background checks prior to issuance. Please contact us as soon as you receive your MPD registration or denial so that we can assist you with the next steps!
All transfer fees/storage fees must be paid before the release or transfer of said firearm from District of Columbia Security Associates.
Abandoned Inbound Transfers:
Firearms transferred to District of Columbia Security Associates are considered abandoned if the transfer process is not initiated within 120 days from when the firearm is received at our shop, if no appointment has been made with MPD within 120 days of the initial appointment, or if the firearm has not been picked up and no contact by client has been made within 120 days of notification that Firearm Registration has been issued or denied. Abandoned firearms will be disposed to the possession of DCSA.
All applicants denied by FBI or MPD may appeal their decision but must inform DC Security Associates of their intent to do so in writing. All applicants in the appeals process must update DCSA every thirty (30) days with the current state of the appeal. Failure to notify DCSA will result in the assessment of storage fees and/or abandonment after 120 days.
By transferring a firearm to District of Columbia Security Associates you agree to all of the above terms and conditions. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-964-2010.
FOR PERSON TO PERSON TRANSFER TRANSACTIONS SEE FAQs
Purchase Firearm & Ship To DCSA
Initiate DCSA Transfer Process
Complete MPD Firearm Registration Process
Complete DCSA Transfer Process